Livonia’s Future Is Clear Thanks to Invisalign®
When most people hear the word orthodontics, they tend to think of a teenager whose teeth are covered by a latticework of metal. While there are certainly many orthodontics patients who fit that description, Invisalign® clear aligners are breaking all the preconceived notions about orthodontics. Livonia Dentistry is proud to be on the forefront of modern dentistry, offering Invisalign® clear aligners for Livonia patients of all ages, ranging from children to adults.
A popular alternative to metal braces, Invisalign® clear aligners are made of nearly invisible polyurethane plastic. Rather than being cemented or bonded directly to your teeth like traditional metal or clear braces, Invisalign®’s clear aligners are completely removable. This allows for no-fuss eating, toothbrushing and flossing, as well as the chance to remove your braces for certain social occasions. However, it’s up to the patient to resist the temptation to remove their Invisalign® clear aligners more than is recommended.
Advantages Offered by Invisalign® Clear Aligners
As you would probably imagine, Invisalign® clear aligners offer many advantages over traditional metal braces, including:
- Better Oral Hygiene – Because you’re able to remove your Invisalign® clear aligners, you’ll be able to brush and floss your teeth a lot easier than you could in traditional braces. This typically results in better oral hygiene.
- Nearly Invisible – Many consider orthodontic treatment to be a private matter. Invisalign® clear aligners are nearly invisible for a more discreet method of treatment.
- Better Comfort – Traditional metal braces have many wires and brackets that have traditionally caused irritations in soft tissues of the mouth. Conversely, most patients with Invisalign® clear aligners find their soft, flexible material more comfortable.
- Fewer Restrictions – Metal braces typically require diet modifications to protect their metal wires, but you can eat whatever you want with Invisalign® clear aligners.
- Nightguards – Invisalign® clear aligners also function as thin nightguards, which is good news for patients who have teeth grinding and/or clenching habits.
Invisalign® Clear Aligners Gradually Align Teeth
Invisalign® clear aligners work similarly to traditional braces in that they apply controlled forces to your teeth to move them gradually into a better position. Your customized treatment plan is designed using specialized computer software. The amount of treatment time required for Invisalign® clear aligners will vary from patient to patient. Patients typically wear each set of clear aligners for about two weeks for a minimum of 20 hours per day before moving on to the next set. In addition to brushing and flossing your teeth daily, you’ll also need to remember to clean your clear aligners daily with lukewarm water.
While Invisalign® clear aligners provide a wonderful alternative to traditional metal braces, they’re not recommended for everybody. Livonia Dentistry welcomes the opportunity to discuss Invisalign® clear aligners with our Livonia-area patients. Please contact our office to schedule a consultation in which we can discuss your orthodontics options with you in greater detail, weighing the pros and cons.